10/8/15

THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THE BEST GIFT


"How much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?" -Luke 11:13

I received the Holy Spirit at my Baptism as an infant and at my Confirmation as a thirteen-year-old. As a young adult, I participated in a Life in the Spirit seminar and was baptized in the Holy Spirit. This experience transformed my life. The Spirit opened my mind to understand the Bible (Lk 24:45). After receiving the Spirit in this new way, Scripture jumped off the page for me. God's Word became so real that it was as if I could see everything along with the original biblical authors. In the decades that followed, the Holy Spirit has given me gifts, such as prophecy and teaching, which help change others' lives. I praise and thank God, the Holy Spirit, for dwelling in me and in so many others in the Church!

Matthew's Gospel reads, "how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to anyone who asks Him!" (Mt 7:11) Luke, however, replaces "good things" with the "Holy Spirit" (Lk 11:13). The Holy Spirit also:
   * convicts us of our sins (Jn 16:8), fights against our flesh (Gal 5:17), and leads us to holiness, if we are docile to Him,
   * guides us to all truth (Jn 16:13),
   * overcomes sin (Gal 5:16) and fear (2 Tm 1:6-8),
   * leads us to pray (Rm 8:26), praise, and worship the Lord in power and awe,
   * brings unity with our families and the Church (Eph 4:3).

"Receive the Holy Spirit" (Jn 20:22) and "do not stifle the Spirit" (1 Thes 5:19). "Since we live by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit's lead" (Gal 5:25). Come, Holy Spirit!

 Holy Spirit, lead the Church to a new Pentecost.

 "For you who fear My name, there will arise the sun of justice with its healing rays." -Mal 3:20

No comments: